The Impactic Sport Program Home Page
Water helps transport the carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that your cells need to make energy. So dehydration really messes with the delivery of all the nutrients your body needs. And as a high performance athlete, nutrients are the key to your success.
HERE ARE SOME FUN FACTS ABOUT WATER:
1. Water makes up 80% of your blood’s volume.
2. There is not a single cell in your body that does not rely on water.
3. It acts as solvents for nutrients.
4. It aids in digestion and absorption.
5. It transports materials throughout the body.
6. It eliminates toxins and waste products.
7. It regulates body temperature.
8. It is used for energy production.
TODAY’S EXERCISE: HYDRATION CHALLENGE
On a normal day you should drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water each day. For a 150lb person, that’s 75 ounces or 2.2 litres. For a 100lb person, that’s 50 ounces or 1.5 litres However, as a high performance athlete you should be drinking more than that as you lose a lot of water during exercise.
For the next week, track your water intake to see if you’re close to the recommendation.
Use the “Track your hydration“ form on page 22 of your Athlete Workbook.
For more specific guidelines for optimal hydration, check out this article.