It is fabled that Leonardo da Vinci used to take multiple 20-minute naps throughout the day to charge his creativity. Brainiac Albert Einstein was also a napper. It’s taken hundreds of years, but recent research seems to back up this approach. Naps have been shown to improve energy, productivity, cognitive functioning and health.
Naps have also been shown to improve athletic performance. In a study at Stanford University, tennis players improved their serve accuracy following 5 weeks of "nap training." That's the kind of training I'd like to do more of!
But there is a catch, and it has to do with those 90-minute sleep cycles we’ve been talking about. In 90 minutes, we generally pass through REM, stage 1, stage 2, stage 3, stage 4, then back through stage 3, 2, 1 and REM again.
So if you want to have a rejuvenating nap, go for a short 20 minute power nap so that you wake up before falling into the deeper levels of sleep. Or alternately, allow yourself the full 90 minutes to complete all the sleep cycles.
Some companies are optimizing happy napping. Nike, Apple, Google and Deloitte Consulting encourage employees to add a power nap to their daily routines!
Pick from the “nap menu” below when you seek happy napping:
1. The micro-nap (2-5 minutes) - Helps to decrease sleepiness and improves cognitive performance.
2. The mini-nap (10 minutes) - Improves mental and physical performance, decreases fatigue.
3. The power nap (20 minutes) - Improves alertness and energy and has the added bonus of also improving memory.
4. The I-feel-like-hell nap (30 minutes) - Makes you feel groggy and foggy - go back to sleep!
5. The full-cycle nap (90 minutes) - This one includes all the sleep cycles and is like a mini-full night’s sleep. Great for memory and creativity if you have the time. The added bonus here is that there is some growth hormone released, which repairs muscle and bones. So if you had a hard workout in the morning, then this is the nap for you.
Today's POWER-UP: Leverage Naps for a World Class Life
CHECK OUT THIS INFOGRAPHIC ABOUT FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO NAP AND FUN FACTS ABOUT THE NAPPING CULTURE.